Eastern Conference: As the, the New England Revolution gets a bye to the conference semifinals. Round 1 matchups: Orlando City SC (No. 4 seed) vs. (5), Philadelphia Union (3) vs. CF Montréal (6), Nashville SC (2) vs. D.C. United (7) Western Conference: The Seattle Sounders get a bye to the conference semifinals as the top seed. Round 1 matchups: Portland Timbers (No. 4 seed) vs. Los Angeles Galaxy (5), Colorado Rapids (3) vs. (6), Sporting Kansas City (2) vs. Vancouver Whitecaps (7). Here is what you for the weekend in MLS:
MLS game of the week
Seattle Sounders F.C. vs. Sporting Kansas City (Saturday, 3:30 p.m. E.T., on Univision/TUDN, Twitter): The road gets more challenging for the two clubs fighting for the No. 1 seed in the Western Conference. Four of Sporting K.C.’s.. five remaining matches are against playoff contenders, and all four Sounders opponents can still punch their postseason ticket. For these reasons, Saturday’s match between the Sounders and SKC carries double the impact. The first-place Sounders have a six-point cushion over SKC, which has . SKC comes into the match hoping to recover from its at the Vancouver Whitecaps on Sunday night. Seattle returns to the field on two days’ rest after a road draw against the soon-to-be playoff-bound Colorado Rapids.
MLS player to watch
Luiz Araújo, Atlanta United: Sincefrom LOSC Lille in France, the 25-year-old Brazilian has brought a resurge of dynamic attacking play along with the wings, scoring two goals and added two assists to his name. Araújo’s playmaking ability causes trouble for MLS backlines and will be one to watch as Atlanta looks to an Eastern Conference playoff spot with four matches remaining.
By the numbers: Revs closing in on the history
3: The New England Revolution (which has 69 points) can tie the 2019 Los Angeles FC team for the MLS regular-season points record (72) with a win over Orlando City on Sunday (7:30 p.m. E.T. on FS1).
Reports: Ricardo Pepi requests to move away from FC Dallas
We weren’t kiddingwhen we said Ricardo Pepi’s star was rising. Now, with FC Dallas soon to be officially eliminated from playoff contention, it seems Pepi could be on the move imminently. He’s been linked to a move to a big for weeks. The latest development reports him. That could get the ball rolling faster toward a landing at a new club for the player, who scored 13 and broke through massively with manager Gregg Berhalter’s U.S. men’s national team.
Carlos Vela, Chicharito, remains the highest-paid MLS player.
TheSoccer Players Association released salary figures on Wednesday, revealing MLS’s player compensation numbers. Los Angeles FC’s Carlos Vela – with $6.3 million in total compensation, including $4.5 million in salary – and the Los Angeles Galaxy’s Javier “Chicharito” Hernández – with $6 million in total compensation – are the two highest-paid players in the league. Gonzalo Higuaín is third, with a $5,793,750 settlement, including a $5.1 million base salary. Atlanta United’s Luiz Araújo (total compensation of $3,941,667), Austin FC’s Sebastián Driussi (full payment of $2,688,420), and Nashville SC’s Aké Loba (total compensation of $1,318,475) are the only MLS newcomers to fetch seven-figure salaries.
Real Madrid, France star Karim Benzema likes what he sees in MLS.
You already know what to do if your bingo card of aging European stars toying with a move to MLS includes Karim Benzema. In an interview, the 33-year-old Benzema told ESPN: “I like the USA. Football is getting better and better there. But am I telling you I will sign there? Right now, I am in Madrid.” So, there you have it. The trend of bringing in aged stars to close out their respective careers is becoming less attractive in MLS circles. More and more, league insiders, observers, fans, and reporters want to see stories like that of Ricardo Pepi at FC Dallas – an upwardly mobile, homegrown talent that’s set to carry the MLS banner with them as they progress overseas. The trend of sprinkling aging stardust on an MLS roster remains a staple for most clubs to varying degrees, but stories like that of Benzema’s (the big name rumored for a move to MLS this pastwas David Luiz) don’t command attention like they used to.
C.F. Montreal exercises contract option on Ahmed Hamdi
In many ways, C.F. Montreal was the story of MLS in 2021. Many pundits picked the club to finish at or near the bottom of the MLS table, yet they’re still in line for an MLSspot with five matches. Montreal’s already taking steps to lock up the players that have helped them achieve what’s already been a memorable 2021 season, and part of that includes exercising a club option on on-loan midfielder Hamdi Ahmed. A member of the Egyptian side, El Gouna F.C., Montreal, announced Tuesday that Hamdi is now under for 2024. Hamdi, 23, has made 19 appearances (eight starts) in his and has two goals.
MLS rankings: Top 10 Power poll
1. New England Revolution: The Revs are the only original MLS team to have never won the MLS Cup or the Supporters’ Shield. They’ll capture the latter in a short time.
2. Seattle Sounders: Seattle’s stature in the Western Conference will be tested this. in a draw. Round 2 is at home against Sporting K.C.
3. Sporting Kansas City: Losing to the Vancouver Whitecaps on Sunday was less than ideal for SKC, chasing the Seattle Sounders – its opponent on the road on Saturday.
4. Nashville SC: Nashville collected its league-leading (by a mile) 16th tie of the season onagainst the Columbus Crew.
5. Colorado Rapids: A late goal allowed to Seattle on Wednesday night prevented Colorado fromfor the second straight season.
6. Philadelphia Union: The Union had a six-game unbeaten streak end Wednesday night in Minnesota but still sits comfortably in the playoff zone in the Eastern Conference.
7. Orlando City SC: Daryl Dike scored goals in three consecutive games ending Wednesday but will aim to get back into scoring form in Sunday’s crucial clash against the Revolution.
8. Portland Timbers: Timbers Army ought to have a good time watching their team’s late-seasonthe playoffs … the Timbers’ two remaining home out the string.
9. Real Salt Lake: RSL has won five of its last eight and has been powered by the goal-scoring prowess of Damir Kreilach, who currently sits tied for fifth in the Golden Boot race with 14 goals.
10. Atlanta United: Atlanta could have damaged NewF.C.’s.. playoff hopes Wednesday night, but Gudmundur Thórarinsson’s equalizer in the 90th prevented that.
Moving in: Real Salt Lake, Atlanta United
Dropping out: NewF.C. (previously: 9), D.C. United (10)
Others receiving votes: N/A
Sports Network MLS top 10 power poll voters: Pat Brennan, Cincinnati Enquirer; Drake Hills, The Tennessean; Jacob Myers, The Columbus Dispatch; Jim Reineking, USA TODAY.
MLS schedule: What are this weekend’s games?
(ABC/ESPN games are available to stream on Watch ESPN; FOX games on FOX Sports Live. Games are also available on fuboTV.)