Investing in holiday homes can be a successful consider before taking the plunge and pursuing this strategy.provide a lifestyle investment if you use the property. So here is a list of the pros and cons you must
What is the holiday home property investment strategy?
- Renting out the property to holidaymakers as a ‘holiday let’. It can be homes, apartments, or townhouses.
- They are generally close to sea change, tree change, and local attractions.
- There are plenty of ways to advertise holiday homes and an opportunity to build a business in its own right.
- Your property ideally needs to stand out and be attractive to the crowd.
- Around 2 hours drive from the .
How investing in holiday rental property works
- You furnish the house and supply in an ordinary home – think appliances (large and small), cutlery, plates, beds, televisions, etc.
- You and other perks like Wi-Fi and Pay TV.
- Tenants will book for short stay periods, with peaks .
- You need to attend to items such as cleaning and gardening to keep the property ‘holiday ready’.
The benefits of holidays let
- An opportunity to do .
- Generally vs. traditional renting.
- Better depreciation due to the additional furnishings.
- You can get access to it yourself in most circumstances.
- It’s a great way to purchase a holiday home.
- It could be a retirement plan.
Negatives of holiday lets
- Involves a lot of management. and time.
- Your tenants are there for a good time, ‘all of the time.’
- Generally, the properties will be an your home, making it harder to check, monitor, and manage directly.
- More stuff to manage: cleaning, gardening, furniture, bonds, and keys.
- If you get it wrong, you may have a that takes up your time, doesn’t grow in value, and has negative cash flow.
Rules for identifying locations for best returns
- Stay within 2 hours of a CBD.
- Target areas with year-round attractions and activities.
- Target areas where people are likely to stay for up to a week in peak or on weekends in off-peak.
- Ensure your location has a pub, a café, a bakery, and a community playground at minimum.
- Get as close to the local attractions and main street as possible for tenancy and security reasons.
Investar members can use Investar Search, its intuitive keyword function, plus other appropriate filters to target holiday homes that fit their buying criteria.
The buying process
- Study the rental rates of your competitors.
- Study the rental rates of local ‘professional’ accommodation providers like hotels and serviced apartments.
- Understand what your and what they would expect in return.
- Set your rates accordingly. You can go aggressive early and increase the rates over time.
- Complete detailed analysis to understand the actual .